Generating Ancient Ruins
Nathaniel Inman discovered a way to generate ranom ancient ruins. He briefly walks through the steps to the procedural generation technique.
While creating algorithms for random continent generation, I came across an old algorithm I had worked with called Coupled Map Lattice. Using that to create a continent was hard but I was able to accomplish it doing layers of filters:
- generate map with noise between -1 and 1
- apply CML using Spatiotemporal Intermittency settings
- (a = 1.75, ε = 0.6)
- I found that using something too chaotic didn't have a noticeable affect compared to just generating noise in general.
- normalize values to between 0 and 255
- apply a gaussian blur
- normalize values to between 0 and 1
- apply slight height restrictions based on distance to center of map
- depress to below sea-level and don't raise otherwise we'll end up with one huge mountain
- apply erosion
- normalize values again to between 0 and 1 as erosion can eat away depending on how strong it is.